Fire destroys 2-story Kalihi home; short-circuit blamed
An electrical short near the kitchen started a fire yesterday morning that destroyed a seven-bedroom Kalihi house, according to fire department investigators.
All seven occupants made it out of the house. A 76-year-old woman who was in the house was taken to Kaiser Moanalua Medical Center in serious but stable condition with elevated blood pressure.
HFD spokesman Capt. Frank Johnson said damage was estimated at $395,000 to the house and $150,000 to the residents' belongings.
Johnson said a smoke detector went off, alerting residents to the 5 a.m. fire at the two-story home at 1521 Meyers St.
While battling the blaze, firefighters spotted a box of ammunition and pulled back until determining it was safe to proceed, fire Capt. Robert Main said.
Main said seven fire companies were called to battle the two-alarm blaze. Police closed Notley and Meyers streets during the blaze, and firefighters remained on the scene as of 7 a.m., mopping up.