Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser

Updated at 7:33 p.m., Thursday, November 29, 2007

UH dorm break-in suspect facing more charges

By Rod Ohira
Advertiser Staff Writer

A 20-year-old Schofield soldier who will be tried for two felony charges related to recent alleged dormitory break-ins at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa campus is a suspect in additional cases including a sex assault, prosecutors said today in court.

Mark Andrew Heath, the Army Stryker brigade scout accused of unauthorized entry into a dwelling and first-degree burglary, was identified as a suspect in other cases by Keith Seto, a Honolulu deputy prosecuting attorney, arguing against supervised release being granted to the soldier.

District Judge Edwin C. Nacino denied supervised release and ordered Heath held on $100,000 bail. He will be arraignment at Circuit Court on Dec. 13.

Seto did not identify the "additional cases" but one of them is believed to be the Aug. 19 break-in at UH's Mokihana dorm in which a female student was awakened in her room by a man holding a weapon to her face. Police are investigating the case as a burglary, third-degree sex assault and kidnapping.

The current unauthorized entry and burglary charges against Heath stem from two break-ins last week at UH's Lokelani dorm.

Police Detective John Asing said Heath admitted to entering the rooms and taking things in testimony today at the soldier's preliminary hearing.