Cowboys' Romo is out indefinitely
Tony Romo's broken little finger has become a big issue for the struggling Dallas Cowboys.
The two-time Pro Bowl quarterback, who wanted to try to play last week despite the broken pinkie on his throwing hand, said yesterday he now doesn't expect to play again until at least mid-November.
"I don't know when I'll be back," Romo said. "I think definitely the idea now is to get healthy by that bye week."
That means Romo would miss at least two more games: Sunday at Tampa Bay and the following week at the rival New York Giants. The Cowboys (4-3), who have lost three of their last four games, then take a week off before returning Nov. 16 at Washington.
After being limited in his only practice last week, Romo was still listed as the backup quarterback Sunday at St. Louis. He even threw some passes before the game.
Brad Johnson will start again for Dallas, this time against the Buccaneers, who had him as their starter when they won the Super Bowl six seasons ago.
Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson will be deactivated for the second week in a row, and quarterbacks Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard were placed on injured reserve. That leaves third-teamer Tyler Thigpin to start Sunday at the New York Jets.
Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowler, was not active last week as punishment for breaking team rules. He is under investigation by the NFL after a woman accused him of spitting at her two weeks ago in a Kansas City nightclub.
New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre acknowledged yesterday that he spoke to former Detroit president Matt Millen a few weeks ago, but denied reports he gave him and Lions coaches information they could use in a game against the Green Bay Packers.
Favre, who had a bitter split with the Packers in the offseason, said Millen called to invite him to go hunting. The friends then briefly talked about football. "I didn't give him any game planning," Favre said. "I haven't been in that offense in over a year. I don't know what else to tell you. It was pretty simple."