Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fire extinguished at senior housing apartment in Kailua

Advertiser Staff

Kailua firefighters yesterday morning extinguished a fire at the Lani Huli Elderly Apartments on Aulike Street in Kailua.

According to Honolulu Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Earle Kealoha, a resident of a second-floor unit placed an ironing board too close to her stove while ironing, then accidentally turned on one of the burners. The woman, believed to be in her 70s, then left the apartment to go to her car and the clothes caught fire.
A smoke detector activated, disabling the elevators on the first floor. Firefighters were alerted around 8:15 a.m. and arrived quickly and put out the fire with extinguishers.
Damage, estimated at $2,000, was contained to the stove and garments.