Special Easter services spread across Oahu 'Guru of joy' to visit Isles
The 108th annual Easter Sunrise Service at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl (Pūowaina) will get under way at 6:15 a.m. tomorrow with the Rev. Lane Akiona, pastor of St. Augustine Catholic Church in Waikīkī, delivering a holiday message titled "St. Damien: A Model for Service in the 21st Century."
Music will be provided by the Royal Hawaiian Band and the Young Adult Choir from O'ahu United Methodist churches. An offering will be collected for the Hawai'i Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
Gates open at 4:30 a.m. Limited parking is available. For more information, call 384-8701.
Bus service: TheBus will send two buses to the service, leaving the Alapa'i Transit Center at 5:15 and 5:50 a.m. Buses will depart Punchbowl no earlier than 15 minutes after the service. They will be marked with the destination 15 Punchbowl, or 15 Alapa'i Transit Center. Regular fares will be in effect, and bus passes will be accepted. For more information, call 848-5555 or visit www.thebus.org.
Easter services slated for tomorrow in unusual Island locations include:
• Hālona Blow Hole Lookout: 6 a.m., led by the young and "young-at-heart" of Nu'uanu Congregational Church. More information: 595-3935.
• The Waikīkī Shell: "Easter Aloha — What One Life Can Do — Jesus, St. Damien and You," special Easter program, 8:30 a.m., sponsored by Unity Church of Hawai'i, also featuring ancient and modern hula by Derek Daniels Productions. More information: 447-9489.
• Magic Island: 6 a.m., Calvary Chapel of Honolulu, with keiki and adult hula, contemporary worship with the church's Praise Band, an Easter message by church pastor, the Rev. Bill Stonebraker, potluck breakfast, water baptism in the lagoon, and a children's ministry. More information: 524-0844, www.calvarychapelofhonolulu.com.
• Aloha Stadium: "Set Free," Easter/Resurrection Sunday healing and miracle service, sponsored by Set Free International, 9 a.m., with Pastor John Leonard, Aloha Stadium Zone Tent; $1 Swap Meet entrance fee charged. More information, 741-4400, www.setfreeint.com.
• Kaka'ako Waterfront Park: By International Baptist Church, 7:30 a.m. service in the pavilion near the water, followed by regular 10:30 a.m. service at the church, Nu'uanu. More information, 595-6352.
EASTER SUNRISE SERVICES
• Waikīkī Beach: Nondenominational service, "This is the King of the Jews," sponsored by 'Ekolu Mea Nui Ministries, 6:30 a.m., with water baptisms to follow. More information: 926-5544.
• Kalama Beach Park (North Kalāheo Avenue, Kailua): Sponsored by Windward Unity Church, 6 a.m., featuring music and meditation, followed by breakfast at the church (160 Mo'okua St.), and regular 9 a.m. church service. More information: 262-6731.
• Camp Mokuleia: Episcopal liturgy, 6:45 a.m.. More information: 536-7776.
• 'Ewa Beach: Messiah Luthern Church, 7 a.m., at the church; followed by breakfast. More information: 721-3413.
• Kāne'ohe: Sunrise service (with Hawaiian music and hula, and free family portraits), 6:30 a.m.; regular services, 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., Hope Chapel Kāne'ohe. More information: 235-5814.
• Mililani: Christ Lutheran Church outdoor sunrise worship, 6:30 a.m.; followed by continental breakfast (full breakfast, 9 a.m.), at the church. More information: 623-9229, www.clcmililani.org.
OTHER EASTER SERVICES
• The Episcopal Cathedral of St. Andrew: Communion service, 7 a.m.; Hawaiian communion service, 8 a.m.; communion service with cathedral choir, 10 a.m.; and Evensong (sung prayer), 5:30 p.m. More information: 524-2822.
• Windward United Church of Christ: 9 a.m. service, followed by children's Easter egg hunt and serving of hot cross buns; Marine Corps Base Hawaii brass ensemble, a Sāmoan choir, organist John McCreary and the WUCC Chancel Singers. More information: 254-3802.
• Calvary Chapel of Honolulu (Komo Mai Drive, 'Aiea): 8:30 and 10:45 a.m., and 6 p.m., with keiki and adult hula, contemporary worship with the church's Praise Band, an Easter message by church pastor, the Rev. Bill Stonebraker. More information: 524-0844, www.calvarychapelofhonolulu.com.
• New Hope Kapolei: 8 and 10:30 a.m., at Kapolei Middle School, with Easter egg hunt and activities after each service. More information: 680-9669, www.kapolei.org.
• Mt. Kaala Baptist Church: Resurrection Sunday, 10:45 a.m. at the Wai'anae church, with 10;45 a.m. prelude music, and the musical "Calvary's Story," presented by the Mt. Kaala singers at 11 a.m. More information: 382-1332.
OTHER EASTER DAY EVENTS
• New Hope Windward: 10-year anniversary celebration, with special Easter services, followed by carnival rides and games, rock-climbing wall, bungee pull, bounce houses, keiki train, entertainment and food vendors; 11 a.m. Easter show; 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., carnival; Alaloa Street, Kāne'ohe, tented parking lot across from Windward Mall. Free, open to the public. More information: 261-5975.
• "Captured by the Cross," a theatrical performance by Word of Life Christian Center, 6 p.m. at the church, South and Queen streets (also 6 p.m. performance today); children's activities and nursery available; free. Information: 528-4044, www.wordoflife.com.
• "Arise," a Lighthouse Easter production and dinner, 6 to 9 p.m., Lighthouse Outreach Center; free, open to the public. More information, 542-1001.