Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, April 13, 2010

IRS reminder: Taxpayers can file for more time

Advertiser Staff

With the Federal income tax deadline looming, the Internal Revenue Service is reminding people who need extra time that they may ask for an extension by visiting the IRS.Gov Web site.

The IRS allows people to file a Form 4868 requesting an additional six months to file, with the new deadline set at Oct. 15. By visiting http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html taxpayers can fill out and file the form online for free.

People can also visit the IRS.Gov site to download and print Form 4868 if they wish to mail it to the IRS.

People who file an extension don't get more time to pay. They must estimate their tax liability and pay any balance due when they request an extension.