UH-Hilo schedules visits with five candidates for chancellor
The University of Hawaii-Hilo has scheduled visits for five educators hoping to succeed Rose Tseng as the school's chancellor.
The visits will take place April 19-29. The candidates will meet various constituent groups in Hilo and Kona and with UH President M.R.C. Greenwood.
Greenwood will submit her recommendation to the Board of Regents for approval.
The candidates are:
• James Riehl, dean of the Swenson College of Science and Engineering and professor of chemistry at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. Riehl is the author or co-author of more than 100 research publications and a recently published book entitled "Mirror-Image Asymmetry." He will visit April 19 and 20.
• Luoluo Hong, vice chancellor for student affairs at UH-Hilo. Her senior administrative roles have included assistant vice president and dean of students at Shepherd College, dean of students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and dean of student affairs at the West campus at Arizona State University. Hong will be visiting April 21 and 22.
• Donald Straney, dean of the College of Science and professor of biology at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. He has also served as interim dean of the Cal Poly College of Agriculture and assistant to the provost at Michigan State University. He will visit April 22 and 23.
• Janie Fouke, senior adviser to the president and professor of biomedical engineering at the University of Florida. She previously served as provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Florida, dean of engineering at Michigan State University, and division director of bioengineering and environmental systems at the National Science Foundation (NSF). She will visit April 27 and 28.
• John Pezzuto, professor and founding dean of the College of Pharmacy at UH-Hilo. Pezzuto has mentored many students and postdoctoral associates, and has published over 500 manuscripts. He will visit April 28 and 29.
On the Net:
Information about the search, the candidates and a detailed visit schedule: http://recruitment.hilo.hawaii.edu/chancellor/