Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Victim's throat was slashed

By Curtis Lum
and David Waite
Advertiser Staff Writers

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Jamil Khan

spacer spacer

A Mililani man who is missing and presumed dead was beaten with a hammer and had his throat slashed by two men who believed the victim cheated them out of thousands of dollars in illegal drug money, a police affidavit said.

Joshua Williams, 25, of a Ho'oko Place address in Makakilo, and Michael Shawn Connolly, 29, of an Alapoai Place address in Mililani, were charged yesterday afternoon in connection with the disappearance of Jamil Khan, 24.

Khan was last seen the night of April 7 after telling his family that he was going to visit a friend in 'Ewa Beach.

Williams was charged with one count of second -degree murder, first-degree promotion of marijuana, third-degree promotion of a dangerous drug, unauthorized control of a propelled vehicle, possession of drug paraphernalia and arson. Connolly was charged with one count of second-degree murder.

Bail for each suspect was set at $1 million. They are scheduled to make their initial court appearance this morning.

Members of Khan's family yesterday said they were too traumatized by the events of the past several days to talk about his life. But they sent an e-mail describing "the Jamil Khan we knew" as "an extraordinary child."

"He has had many dimensions to his beautiful life, one unknown to us may have gotten him into this trouble," the message said.

Wordly possessions meant little to Khan and that he spoke of this world as a temporary abode, his family said.

"Like many young people of his generation, he seemed to be keenly tuned into what was going on in the world on a day to day basis and often lamented on how large masses of innocent people were unable to find sustenance, peace and security in their daily lives," the e-mail said.

Williams and Connolly were arrested Saturday afternoon in connection with the case. Police searched Williams' home and recovered 219 marijuana plants, the affidavit said.

Police said they believe Khan was killed because he kept thousands of dollars in proceeds he made by selling marijuana for Williams.

Williams had operated a large indoor marijuana-growing operation at his home for about two years, the affidavit said.

His suspicions about Khan surfaced about a year ago, according to a police affidavit filed in Honolulu District Court. At one point, when confronted about the money, Khan pulled a gun on Williams, the affidavit said.

According to a witness, Williams said he had two options to deal with Khan: move away, or kill him, the affidavit said.

On April 13, the witness told police he went to Williams' home and saw him cleaning a city and county automated trash bin with bleach, and that Williams later said he "took care of that problem," the affidavit said.

The witness said Khan's Isuzu Rodeo was in Williams' garage and that Williams asked him, "Where would you burn the car? I'm gonna burn the car," the affidavit said.

Khan's SUV was found burned and abandoned in Waipahu April 14, police said.

Another witness told police that Williams suffered minor burns to his face when he attempted to ignite the vehicle, the affidavit said. That witness described how Williams said that he and Connolly killed Khan.

Williams said he took Khan to Williams' home, where "Big Mike" identified in the affidavit as Connolly struck Khan in the chest with a hammer. Williams and Connolly continued to beat Khan until he lost consciousness.

Williams then took Khan into a bathroom and sliced Khan's throat, causing him to bleed out, the affidavit said.

The affidavit did not say where Williams may have disposed of Khan's body. As of yesterday afternoon, police had not located the body.

Neither Khan nor the two suspects has a history of criminal convictions in Hawai'i, police said.