Titans' Brown gets $17 million NFL Draft First Round Analysis | By Curtis Murayama, Sports Editor
Bradford chosen No. 1 by St. Louis
NASHVILLE, Tenn. —The Tennessee Titans and defensive tackle Tony Brown agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $17 million yesterday to keep the restricted free agent with the team.
The Titans had tendered Brown at a first-round level worth $2.61 million, and team officials and his agent had been working on a long-term deal since February. They finalized the details of a deal paying Brown $7.5 million this year, and agent Martin Magid said Brown was on his way to sign the deal.
The 6-foot-3, 290-pound Brown also has played for Carolina, Miami and San Francisco and is entering his sixth NFL season. He missed out on unrestricted free agency with the collective bargaining agreement in its final year. That forces players to have six full seasons instead of four to become unrestricted and able to sign with any team.
Magid said they conceded to a three-year deal and believe Brown will get another NFL contract in his career.
"I don't think that was the ultimate factor. As a restricted guy, you've got some handcuffs on you," Magid said. "We worked hard to get it done, myself and the Titans. They've been very cordial through it, and you agree to disagree. At the end of the day, we came to a conclusion and Tony's pretty happy."
The Philadelphia Eagles have re-signed punter Sav Rocca to a one-year contract.
Rocca had been the team's last unsigned restricted free agent. The deal was announced yesterday.
The 36-year-old Rocca had a franchise-best 38.3 yards net average in 2009, breaking his single-season record of 37.9 set in 2008. He has averaged 42.6 gross yards per punt in his three seasons in Philadelphia while sending 74 punts inside the 20-yard line.
Rocca played 15 years in the Australian Football League before joining the Eagles.
END FOR OT JONES
The retirement of Seattle Seahawks offensive tackle Walter Jones appears imminent.
Coach Pete Carroll said the team has spoken with Jones and an announcement regarding Jones will be coming next Thursday.
After the team drafted Russell Okung with the sixth pick in the NFL draft last night, offensive line coach Alex Gibbs said, "he's going to be Walter (Jones') replacement" and that was why the Seahawks picked him.
Jones, a six-time All-Pro, hasn't played since Thanksgiving Day 2008. He's been rehabilitating from two knee surgeries and said after the 2009 season ended that he hoped for one more run with the only franchise he's ever played for.
Jones has spent all 13 of his seasons with Seattle after being the No. 6 pick in the 1997 draft.