• "More Ultra-fast Asian Meals in 19 Minutes or Less," including look funn with Vietnamese sausage, instant shioyaki fish, Korean spicy squid stir-fry, Chinese shrimp in lobster sauce, Thai chicken and Chinese paper bag shrimp, 2:45-6:15 p.m. April 30.
• "Vietnamese Cooking," including summer rolls, barbecue pork and nuoc cham, the Vietnamese "mother sauce," 2:45-6:15 p.m. May 1.
MAUI "FURLOUGH FRY-DAY," 9 a.m.-1 p.m. April 30, Whole Foods Market, Kahului, with 9 a.m. farmers market and farm produce samplings; 10 a.m. container garden demonstration; 11 a.m. cooking demonstrations by chef David Paul, and 12 p.m. "Snacks That You Can Grow" presentation; free, open to the public; information, 808-662-3000.
TASSIMO BEVERAGE MAKER DEMONSTRATION, and sampling of over 40 hot beverages made with it, 12-4 p.m. May 1 and 8, Macy's Pearlridge and Ala Moana Center; information, 941-2345.
"MOUTH WATERING MONDAYS," a sampling of new and favorite foods at Whole Foods Market, Kāhala; 4-6 p.m. Mondays during May; information, 738-0820.
MĀLAMA MAUNALUA BAY COMMUNITY TALK-STORY, learn more about issues threatening Maunalua Bay, Hawai'i Kai; 6:30 p.m. May 3 and 17; Whole Foods Market, Kāhala; free; information, 738-0820.
BRASSERIE DU VIN invites volunteer musicians to entertain diners on the piano in the main dining room; contact Jody at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITY PEOPLE'S OPEN MARKETS: 25 sites offering weekly sale of agricultural and aquaculture products, ethnic and other food items; information, 522-7088, www.honolulu.gov/parks/programs/pom.
KING'S VILLAGE FARMERS MARKET, several fresh produce stands, presented by King's Village and Hyatt Regency Waikīkī Beach Resort and Spa, along with changing of the guard ceremony (6:15 p.m.), 4-9 p.m. Fridays; 237-6340.
KEAUHOU FARMERS MARKETS, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Wednesdays, Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort lawn; and Saturday mornings, near Keauhou Shopping Center, Big Island; information, 808-930-4900.
KAUA'I COMMUNITY MARKET, sponsored by county Farm Bureau and Kaua'i Community College, with locally grown food, culinary treats, agricultural and culinary demonstrations and "talk story," 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, KCC campus, front parking lot, fronting Grove Farm; 808-337-9944.
KAPI'OLANI COMMUNITY COLLEGE public cooking classes at its Diamond Head campus, with one-on-one classes in culinary arts laboratories and lecture rooms; various courses, including knife skills, sandwiches, noodles, breakfasts, Girl's Night Out, Mexican, Mediterranean, Southern, Asian, Chinese New Year, baking, wine and chocolates; times and prices, call 734-9211.
FRESH DAYS, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente; shop for affordable, locally grown produce, get information on shopping and eating healthier, and try food samples; 432-2270:
• Honolulu Clinic, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Thursdays, main entrance and lobby area.
• Moanalua Medical Center, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Wednesdays, main entrance.
• Waipi'o Clinic, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Wednesdays, front entrance and main lobby.
MAKIKI FARMERS MARKET, with local, fresh produce and farm products, and takeout meals or sit-down dining; 4:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, St. Clement's Episcopal Church; 735-4550.
Waikīkī Farmers Market, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays; Waikīkī Community Center; free; 923-1802.
INTERNATIONAL MARKET PLACE FARMERS MARKET, 4-8 p.m. Thursdays; free; information, 922-2724.
TOURS, TASTINGS & CLASSES
UNCORKED, a wine course for wine lovers and novices, with different wine/wine region focus each month; 6-8 p.m. first Wednesday monthly; Pearl Ultralounge, Ala Moana Center; $20; reservations required, 944-8000.
CHEF WATER RHEE EVENTS:
• A Cook's Tour of Chinatown: Walter Rhee leads a tour of Downtown markets, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Saturdays; meet near Hawaii National Bank, between King and Smith streets; $25.
WEEKLY WINE EVENTS: Brasserie Du Vin, 1115 Bethel St.; limited seating, reservations required; 545-1115:
• Dinner/wine pairing, 6 p.m. Mondays; $49; no menu substitutions.
• Wine Tasting Club, with different weekly themes and available meat/cheese plates, appetizers and happy-hour prices, 6 p.m. Tuesdays; $20 (tax and tip additional).
12th AVE GRILL "CRAFT BAR," featuring handcrafted microbrews, house-made tapas and handpicked wine flights; 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; 12th Ave Grill, Kaimukī; 732-9469.
COMPLIMENTARY WINE TASTINGS, with different themes every week, 1-5 p.m. Saturdays; and Pau Hana Wine & Cheese Tastings, 4-8 p.m. second and third Fridays; The Wine Stop; free; 946-3707.
MONTHLY RECIPE CONTEST, by Don Ho's Island Grill, Aloha Tower Marketplace, different theme monthly; winning recipe (must be original with "Island flair" matching restaurant's menu) will be monthly special. Drop off typed recipe, name, address and phone number at restaurant; information: 528-0807.