UNLV's Smith plays big in victory
By Kalani Takase
Advertiser Staff Writer
UNLV sophomore forward Jamie Smith ('Iolani '08 of Kailua) had 17 rebounds and 10 points in a 62-56 victory over visiting Wyoming last night.
Smith, who played all 40 minutes, was one of four Rebels to score in double-figures.
UNLV improved to 10-12 overall and 3-5 in the Mountain West Conference. Wyoming fell to 13-7 and 4-4.
Smith has started all 22 games for UNLV this season.
MORE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
• Idaho sophomore guard Shaena Kuehu (Punahou '08 of Honolulu) scored 14 points with five rebounds, three steals and two assists in a 57-55 loss to Utah State last Wednesday. Kuehu scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds in Saturday's 74-71 overtime loss at Louisiana Tech. Freshman guard Kanisha Bello (Waiākea '09 of Hilo) added 13 points, three rebounds and three assists for the Vandals.
• Concordia (Calif.) junior guard Nicole Fu (Maryknoll '07 of Honolulu) scored a team-high 20 points with four rebounds, two assists, one steal and a block in a 68-64 loss to Azusa Pacific Saturday.
• Holy Names (Calif.) junior guard Jamie-Leigh Ronolo (Moanalua '07 of Honolulu) scored 18 points in a 75-52 win over William Jessup (Calif.) Thursday. Ronolo scored a game-high 20 points in Saturday's 69-61 win over Menlo (Calif.).
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology freshman forward Anna Merrifield (Punahou '09 of Honolulu) scored a game-high 20 points with six rebounds in a 62-48 win over the U.S. Coast Guard Academy last Wednesday. Merrifield, who was 8 of 12 from the field with four 3-pointers, also finished with one assist, one steal and a block.
• Linfield (Ore.) senior guard Cody Tesoro (Baldwin '05 of Kahului) scored 27 points with two rebounds, three assists and two steals in an 87-75 win over Puget Sound (Wash.) Saturday. Tesoro shot 9 of 16 from the field, including 2 of 4 on 3-point attempts, and made 7 of 10 free throws.
• Willamette (Ore.) sophomore forward Taylor Mounts ('Iolani '08 of Kailua) scored 19 points and grabbed five rebounds in a 101-83 loss to Whitworth (Wash.) Friday. Mounts recorded 16 points, nine rebounds, one assist and a block in Saturday's 103-82 loss at Whitman (Wash.).
• Stanford sophomore outside hitter Brad Lawson ('Iolani '08 of Honolulu) put away 22 kills and hit .425 in a four-set loss to UC Santa Barbara Thursday. Senior setter Kawika Shoji ('Iolani '06 of Honolulu) had 57 assists and sophomore libero Erik Shoji (Punahou '08 of Honolulu) recorded a team-high 16 digs. Kawika Shoji had 61 assists and 15 digs in Friday's five-set loss to Cal State Northridge. Lawson notched a match-high 26 kills, Erik Shoji had 15 digs and junior libero/defensive specialist Jordan Inafuku (Kamehameha '07 of Honolulu) added nine digs for the Cardinal.
• USC junior setter Riley McKibbin (Punahou '07 of Honolulu) had 72 assists and eight digs in a four-set loss at Pepperdine Friday. Junior outside hitter Tri Bourne (Academy of the Pacific '07 of Honolulu) added 18 kills and 10 digs for the Trojans.
SWIMMING & DIVING
• UCLA junior Brittany Beauchan (Punahou '07 of Kailua) won the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:02.09 in a dual meet against Stanford Friday. She was also second in the 200 breaststroke (2:15.63). In Saturday's dual meet against California, Beauchan also won the 100 breaststroke (1:02.68) and placed second in the 200 breaststroke (2:14.71).
• USC freshman Christel Simms (Punahou '09 of Honolulu) placed fourth in the 50-yard freestyle in 23.56 seconds. She also was fifth in the 100 freestyle (50.99) and helped the Trojans to a runner-up finish in the 200 medley relay (1:40.67) and third in the 200 freestyle relay (1:36.49).
• Boise State freshman Jennifer Cahill (Baldwin '09 of Wailuku) won the 1,650-yard freestyle in 17:26.92 at a dual meet against New Mexico State Friday. She also won the 500 freestyle in 5:05.70.
• Lindenwood (Mo.) senior Jenna Nakamoto (Kalani '06 of Honolulu) placed third in the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:50.83 at the Panther Invitational Sunday hosted by Principia College (Ill.).
• Redlands (Calif.) senior Melanie Loo ('Iolani '06 of Waipahu) won the 500-yard freestyle in 5:30.38 at a dual meet against Whittier (Calif.) Saturday. She also helped the Bulldogs to a second-place finish in the 200 freestyle relay (1:49.41) and third in the 200 medley relay (1:58.87).
• Vassar (N.Y.) sophomore Jack Smart (Punahou '07 of Honolulu) was named Swimmer of the Week by The Liberty League Monday after he won five events in a pair of dual meets last week. Smart won the 200-yard breaststroke (2:14.78), 400 individual medley (4:20.57) and was on the winning 200 medley relay team (3:45.00) Saturday against NYU. He also won the 100 breaststroke (1:02.72) and the 200 individual medley (2:04.41) against Montclair State Tuesday.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• Colorado's Javen Correia (Maryknoll '08 of Wai'anae) placed fourth in the men's 60-meter hurdles in 8.51 seconds and 19th in the 60 dash in 7.50 at Saturday's Washington Invitatonal.
• At Saturday's Don Barrett Air Force Duals, Wyoming's Larissa Edwards (Ka'ū '08 of Pāhala) finished fifth in the women's 60 hurdles in 9.09 and 11th in the 60 dash in 8.26, helping the Cowgirls tie for first in the team standings. Teammate Kekoa Chavez (Hilo '05) ran on the third-place men's 4x440-yard relay team in 3:19.62 and was seventh in the 200 in 22.56.
• Haley Abing (La Pietra '09 of Honolulu) of Kenyon (Ohio) ran on the fifth-place women's 4x800 relay team that finished in 10:43.18 at Saturday's North Coast Athletic Conference Relays.
WOMEN'S WATER POLO
• Stanford junior goalkeeper Kim Hall (Punahou '07 of Kāne'ohe) made five saves in a 16-2 win over Cal State Monterey Bay and four saves in a 19-8 win over Pacific (Calif.) Sunday.
• Occidental (Calif.) junior attacker Karie Nickle (Kamehameha '07 of Honolulu) leads her team in points with seven after a pair of losses Saturday at the Cal Baptist Tournament. She has scored three goals and recorded four assists while freshman center Nanea Fujiyama (Kamehameha '09 of Honolulu) scored two goals for the Tigers last week.
• Arizona State sophomore Kahoku Palafox (Maryknoll '08 of Kailua) had a score of 9.825 on the uneven bars in a dual meet against UCLA Sunday. She also posted a 9.575 on the balance beam. The Bruins won, 196.55 to 193.475.
• Air Force junior Kazden Ikehara (Kamehameha '07 of Mililani) went 3-1 in the 197-pound division at Saturday's Rocky Mountain Collegiate Open in Golden, Colo. Ikehara won his opening match, but lost to the eventual champion in the following round. He rebounded with a pair of wins to place third.
• Dana (Neb.) senior Ryan "Bulla" Tuzon (Baldwin '06 of Wailuku) won the 165-pound division at Saturday's Great Plains Athletic Conference championships in Sioux City, Iowa. Tuzon, who earned a first-round bye as the top seed, won his quarterfinal, 8-6, and advanced to the final by a score of 7-4 in the semifinal round. He defeated Joe Sievert of Morningside, 5-3, to win the title.Advertiser Staff Writer Stanley Lee contributed to this report.