Test your Bon Jovi IQ
By Kawehi Haug
Advertiser Entertainment Writer
Take our quiz to determine whether you're a true lover of the New Jersey boys or whether you give Bon Jovi fandom a bad name.
1. How did the band come to name itself Bon Jovi?
a. It's the name of the restaurant in New Jersey where the band did its first hometown gig.
b. It's derived from lead singer Jon Bon Jovi's actual last name, Bongiovi.
c. No one really knows how the band came to be called Bon Jovi, not even the band members.
2. Bon Jovi's best-selling album is:
a. "Slippery When Wet"
b. "Bon Jovi"
c. "New Jersey"
3. Bon Jovi's first No. 1 hit was:
a. "Livin' on a Prayer"
b. "You Give Love a Bad Name"
c. "Bad Medicine"
4. Finish this lyric from "I'll Be There For You": "I guess this time you're really leaving. I heard ________.
a. "... your suitcase say goodbye."
b. "... my sister made you cry."
c. "...you when you said goodbye."
5. True or false: Bon Jovi was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
6. Which of the following is not true of lead singer Jon Bon Jovi?
a. He is the owner of the Philadelphia Soul arena football team.
b. His mother is a former U.S. Marine, as well as a former Playboy bunny.
c. He didn't want to call the band Bon Jovi, saying that the name sounded like a flavor of French ice cream.
7. The first song Jon Bon Jovi ever recorded was:
a. A cover of Ben E. King's classic "Stand By Me."
b. The single, "Runaway."
c. "R2D2 We Wish You a Merry Christmas" on musician Meco's "Christmas in the Stars: The Star Wars Christmas Album."
8. True or false: "Wanted Dead or Alive" is known as the Bon Jovi anthem.
9. Only one member of Bon Jovi has left the band since it formed in 1983. Which member is no longer with the band?
a. Tico Torres
b. David Bryan
c. Alec John Such
10. What notable Bon Jovi event took place in 1992, making headline news on CNN?
a. The band was featured in a televised concert on "MTV Unplugged."
b. Jon Bon Jovi cut his hair.
c. MTV refused to air the "Bed of Roses" video, claiming it was too risque for the network.
Answers: 1) b; 2) a; 3) b; 4) a; 5) False; 6) c; 7) c; 8) True; 9) c; 10) b
You got all 10 answers right: You're a super fan. You cried when Jon Bon Jovi cut his hair and you vacation in New Jersey just to feel close to the guys.
You got at least seven answers right: You know all the words to the big hits, but your pulse doesn't race at the mere sound of Jon and Richie making beautiful harmonies together.
You got at least four answers right: You probably know the chorus to "Livin' on a Prayer," but you also think Bon Jovi sang "Pour Some Sugar on Me."
You got fewer than three answers right: You're probably listening to Taylor Swift right now.