Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Friday, February 12, 2010

Walker lifts Seabury Hall in overtime, 1-0

by Stanley Lee
Advertiser Staff Writer

WAIPAHU Tired from running up and down the field in a scoreless match, Mark Walker was moved to a different position.

"We brought forward the sweeper (Walker) towards the end of (regulation), told him just to keep plugging away and be careful of the counterattack ," Seabury Hall coach Mike Russell said. "They had some dangerous guys and that it was going to come as long as they keep grinding away."

The Spartans kept pushing into overtime, and Walker scored three minutes in as Seabury Hall beat fourth-seeded Kailua, 1-0, in yesterday's quarterfinals of the JN Automotive Group/Hawai'i High School Athletic Association Division II Boys Soccer State Championships at the Waipi'o Peninsula Soccer Complex.

The Spartans (7-0-6) play No. 1 Mid-Pacific (10-2-1) and No. 2 Kapa'a (9-3-1) plays No. 3 Honoka'a (11-2-3) in today's 3 p.m. semifinals.

"If he's sweeping, he wasn't going to be outrun, but in the central midfield, running up and down the whole field the whole match, he was out of gas," Russell said of Walker. "He did a good job for us but he can only run for so long."

After 80 minutes of scoreless regulation, Walker took a pass in the center of the 18-yard box from Nick Noufer and maneuvered past a defender, shooting into the bottom left of the goal as the Kailua goalkeeper dived in the other direction.

"We felt Kailua had played an excellent game but we felt we had control of the action and we knew we just to had to keep trying and it was going to come eventually," Walker said.

A Seabury Hall header in the first minute of overtime went wide left of the goal. A minute later, Torren Kimura's shot for the Spartans to the top left corner of the goal was saved.

The senior-laden Spartans hope to keep pushing through the state tournament. They lost in the semifinals last year on penalty kicks and finished fourth.

"We didn't want this to be our final game for contention for the state title and we knew we had to pull it together," Walker said.

In other quarterfinal games:


Cody Sullivan and Taylor Nemiroff scored in the second half as the Owls defeated the Canefire (10-3-3).

Sullivan scored in the 53rd minute after Daigo Kameoka sent in a pass from the left and Sullivan one-touched it into the net. Nemiroff made it 2-0 in the 73rd minute.


Kaisen Carrillo scored from the top of the box in the 59th minute and Brycen Phillips scored in the 80th to lift the defending champion Warriors over the Lions (7-5-4).


The Dragons scored first on an own goal and Sage Johnson scored twice in the first half to help beat the Tigers (8-4-1).