ID-theft case now up to 140 charges
By Jim Dooley
Advertiser Staff Writer
Alleged identity thief Susan E. Shaw was re-indicted yesterday on 18 new criminal counts, bringing the total number of charges against the Kailua woman to 140.
Shaw, 35, was first indicted last year on charges that she stole at least $160,000 from 11 victims.
She has been held without bail since then as a flight risk.
Deputy Prosecutor Christopher Van Marter yesterday said the additional charges involve 12 new victims identified by Honolulu police after Shaw was first indicted last May.
The new charges are based on materials found by authorities in Southern California, Van Marter said.
Shaw obtained personal identification of 12 Honolulu residents and obtained and used credit cards in their names to purchase merchandise, Van Marter said of the new charges.
Even before the new charges were lodged against Shaw, Van Marter said it was "the biggest (ID theft case) we've prosecuted."
Van Marter said he intends to seek a life sentence for Shaw if she is convicted.
Trial in the case is scheduled to begin March 10, but may be delayed by issuance of the new indictment.
Deputy Public Defender Tyrus Buyama, who represents Shaw, declined comment on the new indictment or the status of the case.