Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, February 25, 2010

American rivals intertwined again

 •  Parise boosts U.S. into hockey semis

By Chris Dufresne
Los Angeles Times

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Julia Mancuso of the United States was in tears after finishing her first run of the women's giant slalom yesterday.

SERGEY PONOMAREV | Associated Press

spacer spacer
Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Lindsey Vonn

spacer spacer

WHISTLER, British Columbia It seemed fitting the daytime serial that played out yesterday between gold-medal-winning American rivals Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso would have to be continued until ... today.

These are, after all, the days of their lives.

Skiing bib-to-bib in the Olympic giant slalom, Vonn at No. 17 and Mancuso at No. 18, Vonn crashed while flying back-first into a retaining fence and broke her right pinkie finger. It might have cost Mancuso the chance to defend her gold medal.

"Is this really happening?" Mancuso said she was thinking. "It was hard to get my head around it."

Mancuso already was on the course when Vonn skied out, was flagged by an official, had to take a snowmobile back to the top, started again at No. 31, and then finished 18th in the first run, 1.30 seconds behind the leader.

"This was probably the worst thing that could happen at the Olympics," Mancuso said. "To get flagged on the run of your defending gold medal run ... it's probably the most unexpected thing ever."

The story's not over yet.

Dense fog at Whistler Creekside course postponed the second run until this morning, yet there may have never been more news emanating from a ski-race postponement.

Forget about likely medal winners. Elisabeth Goergl of Austria posted the fastest morning run time of 1:15.12, good enough to give her a narrow .02 lead.

The drama belonged to Vonn and Mancuso rivals since childhood.

Vonn has already won a gold and bronze at these Olympics, while Mancuso has added two silvers to the gold she won in Turin four years ago.

These racers, both 25, just can't seem to shake each other. It was Vonn last week who knocked Mancuso into second place in the downhill, and Mancuso who took surprising silver in the super combined that Vonn did not finish.

They entered yesterday's race tied in the World Cup giant slalom rankings at No. 28, and then randomly drew back-to-back bib times.

Vonn, skiing in her weakest event, broke clean and was leading by .35 after the third interval when Mancuso left the start house.

Race officials, trying to squeeze a race in between the snow and fog, sent the skiers off in intervals with racers 15 through 30 leaving every minute.

Mancuso didn't know Vonn had crashed near the bottom when she left and was well down the course when she was stopped.

Down below, Vonn lay twisted near the fence "I was like a pretzel out there," she said.

Vonn eventually found her bearings and skied to the bottom.

"I feel terrible," Vonn said of making Mancuso start over. "I hope she understands. I definitely didn't want that to happen for the both of us."

Mancuso left the media mixed zone in tears without comment and soon posted to her Twitter account: "I was flagged in GS. That is (expletive)."

She later softened her remarks with a re-post: "That yellow flag in GS was such... just want to scream. I'm really miffed."

Mancuso later wondered why she wasn't flagged earlier.

Referee Atle Skaardal explained that it took a jury member a few seconds to determine whether Vonn's crash warranted a stop: "At that time Mancuso was already on her way so it was impossible to stop her at the start."