One-stop shopping at Hawaii Ocean Expo
Described as "the pinnacle of all things ocean," this weekend's Hawaii Ocean Expo at Blaisdell Exhibition Hall features vendors, educational information, a keiki fun zone, cooking demonstrations, boating shows and even a surfing, fishing and diving museum.
With more exhibitors taking part and word of the expo spreading, organizers expect this year's attendance to exceed last year's turnout of 12,000 visitors.
"It's really growing fast," said Russ Inouye, one of the expo founders. "Our goal was to create an expo where ocean-minded people can get together and feed off each other. If you're looking for something to do in the ocean, no matter what your experience level, you'll find it here.It's the only expo of its kind."
• Fresh Catch Kitchen: If you love seafood, this is a must-see event. Top chefs from across the Islands — including Lindsey Ozawa, executive chef of Nobu Waikiki, Chai Chaowasaree from Chai's Island Bistro and Nico Chaize of Nico's at Pier 38 — will share their secrets on seafood preparation and cooking techniques. There also will be cooking demonstrations both days, meaning plenty of tastings.
• Poke contest: Think you've got a winner? Enter your recipe at http://www.hawaiioceanexpo.com for a chance to win an Alask fishing trip for two. The top three recipe finalists will compete for the People's Choice Award, and the winner will be announced Sunday.
• 2010 GTMasters Cup weigh-ins:The shoreline fishing tournament starts today and ends at noon Sunday, but the weigh-ins are the highlight for spectators, and they take place until 4 p.m. Sunday. At stake is a $4,000 first-place prize and a $1,000 cash bounty for the biggest ulua that comes in over 100 pounds.
• Water Keiki Fun Zone: Hosted by Windward Nazarene Academy, it features jumping castles, fishing games, face-painting and ocean tattoos — plenty of activities to keep keiki busy.
• Surfers Closet: All major international and local brands will be represented, and some new apparel yet to be in stores will be available.
• Boaters World: The latest in boats, trends and equipment, including accessories, gadgetry and electronics.
• Tackle Box: "Pre-release" fishing products will be on display, and Izuo Brothers representatives answer questions about the latest tackle and trends.
— Dave Dondoneau