Civil defense urges preparation
The Hawaii Civil Defense advised residents to prepare for a possible destructive tsunami that is estimated to first arrive at about 11:19 a.m. today.
Each county's civil defense agency will advise residents if coastal areas will be evacuated. Go to www.scd.hawaii.gov for a mapping tool to check if you live or work in an evacuation zone.
The agency advised that residents prepare an emergency plan to locate family members if they become separated and to prepare an emergency supply kit well in advance of the tsunami's estimated arrival.
The provisions should include food, water, and clothes and bedding to keep warm. Food should be high energy non-perishables and kept in sealed air-tight containers.
Provisions should include enough supplies to last three days for each family member, the civil defense says, but some experts say Hawaii's isolation should require provisions for as many as seven days.
The American Red Cross said kits should include:
At a minimum, have the basic supplies listed below. Keep supplies in an easytocarry emergency preparedness kit that you can use at home or take with you in case you must evacuate.
* Water—one gallon per person, per day (three-day supply for evacuation, two-week supply for home)
* Food—nonperishable, easytoprepare items (three-day supply for evacuation, twoweek supply for home)
* Batterypowered or handcrank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
* Extra batteries
* First aid kit
* Medications (seven-day supply) and medical items
* Multipurpose tool
* Sanitation and personal hygiene items
* Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
* Cell phone with chargers
* Family and emergency contact information
* Extra cash
* Emergency blanket
* Maps of the area
More information on emergency preparedness is available at www.redcross.org.
The civil defense advised residents to tune into radio and television for instructions and information. The Advertiser's Web site will also provide updated information throughout the day.