honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lots of laughs on tap for Oscars night


Advertiser News Services

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Alec Baldwin

spacer spacer
Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Aretha Franklin

spacer spacer

At least five funny actors will help hand out Oscars this year.

Telecast producers say Sacha Baron Cohen, Jason Bateman, Steve Carell, Tina Fey and Ben Stiller will serve as presenters at the Academy Awards.

It will be the first Oscar appearances for "Borat" star Baron Cohen and Bateman, a star of best picture nominee "Up in the Air."

Previously announced presenters include Miley Cyrus, Zac Efron, Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner.

The 82nd Academy Awards will be presented March 7 at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles and broadcast live on ABC. Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin will share hosting duties.

U2S EARNINGS TOPPED $108M LAST YEAR

If money makes the world go round, then U2's latest tour, which is dubbed "360 Degrees," proves that's true.

The veteran act leads Billboard's 2010 Money Makers list, earning more than $108 million in 2009.

Bruce Springsteen is second with $57 million and Madonna follows with $47 million. AC/DC and Britney Spears round out the top 5 with $43 million and $38 million, respectively.

HOT NEW ALBUM FROM QUEEN OF SOUL

The Queen of Soul says she's taking control of her newest collection.

Aretha Franklin offered a preview yesterday of several songs from her forthcoming album, "Aretha: A Woman Falling out of Love," in a downtown Detroit restaurant. She wrote and produced a few of the songs and is executive producer of the album that's expected to be released in late March.

One track planned for the album features a recitation by actor Billy Dee Williams that she says is "sizz-LING."

PRINCE PAYS FOR DUBLIN CANCELLATION

Lawyers for pop singer Prince agreed yesterday to pay substantial damages for his unexplained cancellation of a 2008 concert in Ireland's largest stadium.

Prince, 51, did not appear during the four-day hearing in Dublin High Court.

But evidence presented by Dublin concert promoters MCD Productions Ltd. which sued Prince for $2.3 million alleging breach of contract demonstrated he withdrew without explanation 10 days beforehand after 55,000 tickets were sold.

Lawyers announced an out-of-court settlement yesterday. Neither side disclosed the figures involved.