Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Friday, January 1, 2010

Faulty outlet blamed for Village Park fire

Advertiser Staff

A faulty electrical outlet started a fire that destroyed a Village Park home Thursday, the fire department said.

Nine people were home at the time of the early morning fire and all escaped with minor injuries, an official said.
The fire was reported at 12:08 a.m. at the four-bedroom house on Kahue Place. Firefighters had the blaze under control by 12:44 a.m. and declared it extinguished at 1:21 a.m.
Fire investigators determined that the fire began in the living room and was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet.
The loss was estimated at $350,000 to the building and $50,000 to the family’s belongings.
Occupants reported complaints of smoke inhalation and were assessed and treated at the scene by HFD personnel and Emergency Medical Services paramedics.
Two neighbors who helped residents in their evacuation also reported complaints of smoke inhalation. Three dogs suffered from smoke inhalation and minor burns but did not need resuscitation or other care.
Representatives from the Hawaii Chapter of the American Red Cross met with the residents of the home to provide assistance and ensure that their needs for shelter, food and clothing were met.