honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Monday, January 4, 2010

MLB: Red Sox and Beltre close to 1-year deal, source says


RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer

A person familiar with the negotiations says free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre and the Boston Red Sox are close to agreeing on a one-year contract.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday night because an agreement, which would be subject to a physical, had not been reached.

A home run threat known for strong defense, Beltre spent the past five years with Seattle. Injuries limited him to 111 games last season, when he batted .265 with eight homers and 44 RBIs.

Beltre is a two-time Gold Glove winner who turns 31 in April. He would supplant Mike Lowell at third base in Boston the Red Sox tried to trade the 2007 World Series MVP to Texas last month but weren't able to finalize the swap.