Gas leak forces shutdown of Gulick Avenue
A residential gas leak resulted in the evacuation of three homes and the shutdown of Gulick Avenue for about a half-hour this morning.
According to Honolulu Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Robert Main, residents noticed the smell of gas around 6 a.m. and called the department as the odor intensified.
A hazardous materials crew responded at 7:19 a.m. and confirmed a high concentration of gas near a meter. They evacuated three homes and shut down the street.
A crew from the Gas Company arrived around 8 a.m. and shut the gas line. Residents were able to return to their homes about 15 minutes later.
The leak was traced to a corroded device on the gas meter.
There were no injuries reported.