Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fire injures woman, causes $450,000 in losses to home

Advertiser Staff

A Kaua'i woman suffered burns to her face and shoulders while helping her mother out of their burning Líhu'e home yesterday.

Fire Chief Robert Westerman said the woman was taken to Straub Clinic & Hospital in Honolulu for treatment.

Westerman said all of the other occupants of the home on Puanani Street were released after being treated for smoke inhalation at Wilcox Memorial Hospital.

Firefighters were called the home early yesterday morning. It took them more than an hour to extinguish the flames.

Fire officials estimated the loss to the 1,800-square-foot, three-bedroom, two-bath home and its contents at $450,000. The figure includes two vehicles in the enclosed garage.