Short-circuit cited in fatal house fire
A fire that killed an elderly woman in her Pearl City home Tuesday was caused by an electrical short-circuit, Honolulu Fire Department investigators have determined.
The body of Lillian Sato, 89, was found in the home at 1358 Ho'olaulea St. after firefighters extinguished the blaze. The fire destroyed Sato's single-story home and caused an estimated $250,000 in damage.
Investigators said the fire began in the patio from a short-circuit of an electrical extension cord. It was classified as an accident.
It was the first residential fire fatality on O'ahu this year.
2 NEW RECYCLING CENTERS OPENED
Reynolds Recycling has opened two new HI-5 — redemption centers, on 'A'ala Street in Chinatown and in the 'Ewa Town Center.
The 'A'ala center is at 254 N. Beretania St. The 'Ewa redemption center is near the Longs Drug store at 91-1401 Fort Weaver Road.
Hours for both centers are 9 a.m. to noon and 1:30 to 5 p.m. daily.