honoluluadvertiser.com

Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Monday, March 8, 2010

Mocha Java fire ruled accidental


Advertiser Staff

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

A fire in the ceiling of the Mocha Java coffee shop kitchen area forced the evacuation of some Ward Complex shops Monday afternoon.

BRUCE ASATO | The Honolulu Advertiser

spacer spacer

A flare up in a saute pan started a fire that damaged the Mocha Java Cafe and forced the evacuation of several businesses at the Ward Centre Monday afternoon, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at 12:36 p.m. and the blaze was brought under control by 1 p.m. Firefighters extinguished the fire at 1:30 p.m., said Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
Seelig said the first-arriving companies reported moderate smoke in the restaurantís kitchen and flames above the ventilation hood. Light smoke also had spread through the mall, he said.
The cafeís employees activated the kitchenís fire protection system, which controlled the fire until HFD arrived, Seelig said. Water from the fire protection system flowed into the mallís walkways, but did no cause damage to adjacent property.
The fire did an estimated $5,000 in damage to the Mocha Java Cafe kitchen. There were no reports of injuries.