Short-circuit blamed in Palolo Valley fire
A short-circuit of an electrical power strip caused the blaze at a Palolo Valley home last week, the Honolulu Fire Department said Tuesday.
The 9th Avenue fire on March 11 destroyed the second floor of the two-story home, causing about $600,000 in damage. The three women who lived at the residence escaped from the blaze before the firefighters arrived.
Meanwhile, fire investigators have been unable to determine the cause of the fire that destroyed a Makiki apartment on March 9. Investigators reported that the fire began in the kitchen of the one-bedroom unit on Ernest Street, but could not determine the exact cause. The blaze caused $150,000 in damage. One person resided at the apartment but was not home when firefighters arrived to extinguish the blaze. No injuries were reported.
The fire department has closed both investigations.