Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fire in home last week was caused by short circuit

Advertiser Staff

A short-circuited electrical power strip started a fire that severely damaged a Pālolo Valley home last week, the Honolulu Fire Department said yesterday.

The 9th Avenue fire on March 11 destroyed the second floor of the two-story home, causing an estimated $600,000 in damage. The three women residents got out of the house before firefighters arrived.

Meanwhile, fire investigators have been unable to determine the cause of the fire that destroyed a Makiki apartment on March 9.

Investigators reported that the fire began in the kitchen of the one-bedroom unit on Ernest Street, but could not determine the exact cause. The blaze caused $150,000 in damage. One person was living in the apartment but was not home at the time. No injuries were reported.

The fire department has closed both investigations.