Family Story Time series observes child abuse prevention month
In observance of Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month in April, a special Family Story Time series will be conducted at seven Oahu public libraries through June. The series will kick off 10:30 a.m. Saturday in the Hawaii State Library-Edna Allyn Children's Room.
Children ages 3 and older, accompanied by a parent or caregiver, are invited to listen to a variety of age-appropriate stories at the kick-off event and at other participating public libraries. Each child will receive a free goody bag filled with treats, including a McDonald's "snack" gift certificate and fun and informational materials for parents, while supplies last.
Vivian Aiona, wife of Lt. Gov. James "Duke" Aiona, and Wally Amos, founder of the Chip & Cookie Read Aloud Foundation, will be special guest readers at the kick-off event. For more information, please call 586-3510.
Other public libraries hosting the Family Story Time program:
• 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. April 6 at Kalihi-Palama Public Library, 1325 Kalihi St., 832-3466
• 10:30 a.m. April 11 at Kaimuki Public Library, 1041 Koko Head Ave., 733-8422
• 10:30 a.m. April 22 at Hawaii Kai Public Library, 249 Lunalilo Home Rd., 397-5833
• 10:15 a.m. May 6 at Kane'ohe Public Library, 45-829 Kamehameha Hwy., 233-5676
• 10 a.m. May 10 at Liliha Public Library, 1515 Liliha St., 587-7577
• 10 a.m. June 17 at Kapolei Public Library, 1020 Manawai St., 693-7050
The Child Abuse Prevention Planning Council and state Department of Health are sponsoring these free story times.
For more information, or if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed, call the hosting library. Contact Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii at 951-0200 for program dates of participating military libraries, and for further information.