Rainbows reach WAC tennis semis
Aglae Van den Bergh won a three-set clincher to lead the University of Hawai'i women's tennis team to a 4-3 victory over Idaho yesterday and into the semifinals of the Western Athletic Conference tournament at Fresno, Calif.
Van den Bergh defeated Idaho's Alexandra Ulesanu, 6-7, 7-6, 6-1, at No. 4 singles to give UH four of the six singles matches. Idaho won two of the three doubles matches for the doubles point.
Barbara Pinterova, Katrina Poljakova and Natasha Zorec also won singles matches for the Rainbow Wahine. UH (12-13) faces Boise State in the semifinals today.
The UH men's tennis team earned a bye into today's semifinals and will face Idaho.
Western Athletic Conference TournamentNo. 4 Hawai'i def. No. 5 Idaho, 4-3
Doubles (Idaho wins point)
1. Gabriela Niculescu/Maria Perevoshchikov (Idaho) def. Sophie Kobuch/Katarina Poljakova (Hawai'i) 8-2
2. Daniela Cohen/Yvette Ly (ID) def. Barbara Pinterova/Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 8-2
3. Algae Van den Bergh/Natasha Zorec (UH) vs. Barbara Maciocha/Alexandra Ulesanu (ID) 6-5, unfinished
1. Gabriela Niculescu (ID) def. Sophie Kobuch (UH) 6-4, 6-0
2. Barbara Pinterova (UH) def. Maria Perevoshchikov (ID) 6-3, 6-2
3. Katarina Poljakova (UH) def. Silvia Irimescu (ID) 6-0, 7-5
4. Algae Van den Bergh (UH) def. Alexandra Ulesanu (ID) 6-7, 7-6, 6-1
5. Natasha Zorec (UH) def. Daniela Cohen (ID) 6-0, 6-1
6. Barbara Maciocha (ID) def. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 6-3, 7-6
RAINBOWS LOSE, 8-6
Grace Reynolds scored four goals, including the eventual game-winner in the fourth period, to lift fifth-seeded UCLA to an 8-6 victory over fourth-seeded Hawai'i in the quarterfinals of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation water polo tournament at Los Angeles.
UCLA (18-7) advances to face No. 1 Stanford in today's first semifinal. No. 2 USC plays No. 3 California in the other semifinal.
Hawai'i (16-8) will play No. 8 Arizona State in the consolation bracket.
Monika Eggens scored three goals, while Amarens Genee, Dagmar Genee, Carmen Eggens also scored for the Rainbow Wahine.
With the score tied at 5 after the third quarter, Noel Umphrey scored on the opening possession of the fourth and Reynolds added her third goral with 1:51 to go, putting UCLA up 7-5.
HPU WINS, 7-1
Sean Winston hit a three-run home run in a five-run third inning in Hawai'i Pacific's 7-1 victory over Academy of Art in a Pacific West Conference baseball game yesterday at Hans L'Orange Park.
The Sea Warriors are 35-10 overall and 25-4 in the PacWest. The Urban Knights are 6-35 and 2-23.
Winston hit his first career homer to left field after Tyler Davis and Kenny Turner drew consecutive walks to open the fifth.
Michael Greene (6-2) pitched six innings to earn the victory for HPU.