Raiders give up on QB Russell
ALAMEDA, Calif. — Three years, more than $39 million and only seven wins as the starting quarterback for the Oakland Raiders.
The verdict is in on JaMarcus Russell's career in Oakland and he just might be the NFL's biggest draft bust.
The Raiders released Russell yesterday, just three years after making him the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft.
The decision came less than two weeks after Oakland acquired Jason Campbell from Washington to take over at quarterback. It signifies that owner Al Davis finally lost patience with the immensely talented but unproductive player he drafted in 2007 against the wishes of former coach Lane Kiffin.
"We wish him well," senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press.
The Raiders paid Russell about $36.4 million through last season. They still owe him $3 million more, putting the final tally on his earnings at about $39.4 million. But the team saved $6.45 million by not having him on the roster in 2010.
Bengals: Adam "Pacman" Jones agreed to a two-year deal with Cincinnati yesterday, putting the troubled cornerback on a team with a history of giving players second chances.
Jones, who was released by the Cowboys after the 2008 season and didn't play last year, worked out for the Bengals twice this offseason, including Tuesday.
"There is going to be a two-year deal," Tom Hunter, Jones' agent, told The Associated Press last night. "It's going to be signed Friday or Monday. We don't have in hand yet but we will."
Broncos: Denver beefed up its offensive line by signing free agent Maurice Williams, who spent his first nine season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Of Williams' 100 career starts, 86 have come at right tackle, 12 at right guard and two at left tackle.
The Jaguars selected Williams in the second round of the 2001 draft out of the University of Michigan.
Vikings: A Minnesota judge has delayed a decision on whether to extend a ruling that blocks the NFL from suspending two Minnesota Vikings for violating the league's anti-doping policy.
Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson gave attorneys for both sides until next Wednesday to submit written arguments. He says he will likely decide about a week after that.
Earlier yesterday, Larson handed the NFL a victory in the closely watched lawsuit by Kevin Williams and Pat Williams that challenged the league's plan to suspend them for four games each. Larson ruled the league broke a notification rule in a state law on drug testing, but that it wasn't enough to block their suspensions.