Faith calendar Day of Prayer challenged
POWER OF THE HOLY NAME, the repetition of holy words (Japa), a spiritual practice in Hinduism and other religions, explained by Swami Bhaskarananda, 11 a.m. May 9, Richards Street YWCA, room 309. (First of four talks sponsored by the Vedanta Society of Hawaii; others May 16, 23 and 30). Public invited. Information: 734-1760.
GALACTIC BLAST: A COSMIC ADVENTURE PRAISING GOD, Harris United Methodist Church summer vacation Bible school (open to those who have completed kindergarten to grade 6), with an emphasis on faith and "green" environmental teachings; 8:30-11:30 a.m. July 19-23, at the church; registration forms at www.harrisumc.org; $5; information, 536-9602.
CATHOLICS RETURNING HOME, ongoing series of reacquaintance gatherings for inactive Catholics seeking answers about returning to the church; 7 p.m. Mondays, St. John Apostle and Evangelist Church, Mililani; information, 275-1601.
GUIDED, SILENT AND WALKING MEDITATION, based on the Thich Nhat Hanh tradition, 7:30-9 p.m., second Fridays monthly, Mililani Hongwanji Mission; 625-1022.
UPDATE: WEEKLY MIDEAST BIBLE PROPHECY UPDATE, by the Rev. J.D. Farag of Calvary Chapel Kāne'ohe; 8:30 and 10:45 a.m. Sundays, at the church; followed by a verse-by-verse teaching from the Bible; information, 262-8800.
WEDNESDAYS AT ST. ANDREW'S, Episcopal Cathedral of St. Andrew; information, 524-2822:
• Holy Eucharist (communion) and short sermon; 11:45 a.m., Parke Chapel.
• Brown-bag concerts of chamber and choral music and recitals on the cathedral's Aeolian Skinner pipe organ; 12:15 p.m.; brown-bag lunches in the cathedral encouraged; free.
• Taize Evensong, contemplative half-hour service; 5:30 p.m., in the cathedral.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HONOLULU, national grief and divorce support groups/programs, at the church, 45-550 Ki'ona'ole Road, Kāne'ohe; free ($10 registration/workbook fee); free child care with notice; information, 226-7511:
• GriefShare, for those who have lost someone through death; 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays; specific information, 532-1111.
• DivorceCare, an after-divorce series; 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays; specific information, 254-3136.