BYUH women fall in NCAA II tennis title match
In the end, only one team could finish undefeated and win the NCAA Division II women's tennis national championship today in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State downed third-ranked Brigham Young-Hawai'i, 5-1, today for its third consecutive NCAA championship, and handing the Seasiders their only loss of the season.
BYU–Hawai'i finished 32-1; Armstrong Atlantic 33-0.
BYUH picked up its lone win at the number three doubles spot with an 8-2 win by Jenny Chin and Salina Aranda.
Armstrong Atlantic 5, BYU-Hawaii 1
At Altamonte Springs, Fla. (Sanlando Park)
1. Yuan Jia (BYUH) vs. Sona Novakova (AASU) 6-4, 4-6, unfinished
2. Elwen Li (BYUH) vs. Alida Muller-Wehlau (AASU) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Tina Ronel (AASU) def. Ayako Ikeda (BYUH) 6-1, 6-3
4. Gabriella Kovacs (AASU) def. Shawni Porter (BYUH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jenny Chin (BYUH) vs. Martina Beckmann (AASU) 6-4, 1-6, 0-1, unfinished
6. Kathleen Henry (AASU) def. Salina Aranda (BYUH) 6-2, 6-4
1. Martina Beckmann/Alida Muller-Wehlau (AASU) def. Yuan Jia/Elwen Li (BYUH) 8-5
2. Gabriella Kovacs/Sona Novakova (AASU) def. Ayako Ikeda/Shawni Porter (BYUH) 8-4
3. Jenny Chin/Salina Aranda (BYUH) def. Tina Ronel/Kathleen Henry (AASU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,4)