Lower-calorie finds at coffee, sandwich shops
You're on the run and don't feel like having a burger. What can you eat that's low in calories at Starbucks or those sandwich shops? Find your Calorie Bargains below.
• 6-inch Veggie Delite Sandwich: 230 calories; 2.5 g fat; 45 g carbs; 9 g protein.
• 6-inch Turkey Breast Sandwich: 280 calories; 3.6 g fat; 48 g carbs; 18 g protein.
• Minestrone soup (10 ounces): 90 calories; 1 g fat; 17 g carbs; 4 g protein.
• Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup (10 ounces): 80 calories; 2 g fat; 12 g carbs; 6 g protein.
Fit tip: Subway has made it a priority to offer lower-calorie foods. Most of the 6-inch subs are good in terms of calories (230- 380), as are many of the flatbread sandwiches. Order your sandwich without mayo or other special sauces. Opt for mustard or red wine vinaigrette instead. All the salads are pretty low in calories if you stick with the fat-free Italian dressing (35 calories). If you're really hungry, you can go for the footlong Turkey Breast Sandwich, 570 calories, or Veggie Delite, 460 calories.
• 6-inch Chicken Teriyaki, no cheese: 363 calories; 3 g fat; 52 g carbs; 30 g protein.
• 6-inch Club, no cheese or sauce: 350 calories; 27 g fat; 9 g carbs; 18 g protein.
• 6-inch Veggie & Provolone, no sauce: 190 calories; 27 g fat; 9 g carbs; 18 g protein.
• Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, no dressing: 190 calories; 8 g fat; 6 g carbs; 25 g protein.
• Garden Vegetable Soup (8.6 ounces): 80 calories; 1 g fat; 14 g carbs; 5 g protein.
• Minestrone: (8.6 ounces): 90 calories; 3 g fat; 14 g carbs; 4 g protein.
Fit tip: If you want potato salad, go with the mustard version to save 110 calories.
Blimpie is not too bad. It offers fat-free Italian dressing at only 25 calories (1.5 ounces), a light Italian at 20 calories and a light buttermilk ranch at 70 calories. As far as the salads go, the Antipasto is 250 calories and the Buffalo Chicken Salad is 220 calories. Watch the Make it a Combo deals, though — the soda, chips and cookie will cost you dearly.
• Honey Bourbon Chicken (regular size, without dressing): 440 calories; 7 g fat; 59 g carbs; 28 g protein.
• Turkey Club Bullet (without dressing): 305 calories; 9.5 g fat; 37 g carbs; 17 g protein.
• Cantina Chicken Sammie: 265 calories; 6 g fat; 35 g carbs; 12 g protein.
Fit tip: Avoid the salads. Other than the Pan Asian Regular Chopped Salad (430 calories), they are all from 700 to more than 900 calories. And watch out for the Tuna Melt, which has 1,740 calories in a large sub. Quiz-nos has marked certain foods with a "500," which means they are under 500 calories. The problem is that many of them are a "small" sandwich. So make sure you don't wind up overeating later.
• Black Forest Ham, Egg and Cheddar Sandwich: 370 calories; 16 g fat; 32 g carbs; 23 g protein.
• Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon with Egg Whites on English Muffin: 340 calories; 10 g fat; 47 g carbs; 22 g protein.
• Roma Tomato & Mozzarella Sandwich: 380 calories; 18 g fat; 40 g carbs; 16 g protein.
• Iced coffee with 1 packet of sugar: 25 calories; 0 fat; 6 g sugar; 0 protein.
• Iced coffee with milk, made "skinny," with sugar-free sweetener and a splash (say 2 ounces) of nonfat milk: 25 calories; 0 fat; 3g carbs; 2 g protein.
• Tazo Shaken Iced Passion Tea, made "skinny," with sugar-free sweetener: 0 calories; 0 fat; 0 carbs.
Fit tip: Finally, Starbucks gets that high-quality, low-calorie foods sell.
Starbucks also offers a Picnic Pasta Salad with vinaigrette at 320 calories, and a tasty Deluxe Fruit Blend at 90 calories. The Perfect Oatmeal is only 140 calories with 4 grams of fiber — and very tasty. Just avoid the sugar topping and the dried fruit. The Greek Yogurt Honey Parfait is 290 calories and also good.