Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gasoline being poured into generator sets home ablaze

Advertiser Staff

A Kurtistown home was destroyed Tuesday night by a fire that was ignited when a man tried to fill a generator with gasoline while it was running, Big Island fire officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched to a 400-square-foot structure on 3rd Road, between B and C roads, about 11:35 p.m.

Firefighters said the home was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.

The home's occupant was taken to a hospital with superficial burns. Officials did not say if that was the person who started the fire.