Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, February 2, 2010

'Ewa residents praise new route to Kapolei

By Gordon Y.K. Pang
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Kapolei Parkway's 'Ewa end intersects with Renton Road, above, and Pāpipi Road. The new route ultimately will pass through downtown Kapolei and connect with Ko Olina.

ANDREW SHIMABUKU | The Honolulu Advertiser

spacer spacer

Mayor Mufi Hannemann yesterday dedicated the final 0.7-mile section of the six-lane Kapolei Parkway, which will connect 'Ewa and Kapolei, as well as H-1 Freeway.

There's one small caveat. The section can't open until Feb. 11, when the state dedicates and connects its final section of North-South Road to the parkway.

Long-suffering 'Ewa Beach residents who showed up at yesterday's dedication ceremony said they didn't mind the additional wait.

Dave Bauer, an Ocean Pointe resident the last seven years, said he's been "praying" for the connection to open. The new route will allow him to avoid Fort Weaver Road when he wants to get on H-1 Freeway to drive to work as a communications specialist at Schofield Barracks.

"This would help immensely," said Bauer, 47, an Army sergeant first class.

'Ewa Neighborhood Board member Sandi Arakaki said the road will save her time and distance when she goes shopping and visits friends who live in Kapolei and Makakilo.

"It's a long overdue and welcome alternative way of driving to Kapolei," Arakaki said.

Kapolei Parkway, on the 'Ewa end, runs from Pāpipi Road in old 'Ewa Beach to Renton Road in 'Ewa Villages. On the Kapolei side, it runs from Fort Barrette Road to North-South Road. The segment dedicated yesterday brings the two sections together. Eventually, the parkway will cut through downtown Kapolei and connect with Ko Olina.

"This is all about connecting 'Ewa with Kapolei," Hannemann said.

The project began in March and substantial work was completed by late spring, city officials said. But the city held off opening it as it awaited approval from the state end, officials said.

The project cost $15.5 million, $12.4 million of which came from federal sources.