Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cats removed from Mililani apartment

Advertiser Staff

The Hawaiian Humane Society recovered 45 cats from a two-bedroom apartment in the Waikalani Woodlands subdivision yesterday morning.

The cats ranged from 3 months to about 8 years old and many were suffering from various degrees of illnesses, said Jacque LeBlanc, Humane Society spokeswoman. The cats were taken to the Humane Society for treatment by veterinarians, she said.

"Right now, the welfare of the animals is our priority concern and we brought them in to our care," LeBlanc said.

She said the Humane Society received a call early yesterday morning from a Mililani property manager who said a tenant had been evicted and left behind many cats. Investigators found the cats in a small two-bedroom apartment subdivision north of Mililani.

LeBlanc said the case is under investigation.

"There was enough concern for us to open a case and we're in the early stages of an investigation and are working to confirm ownership," she said.


A 1-year-old Pāhoa girl was critically injured Thursday when she was run over by a vehicle in the driveway of a Big Island home.

Police said the incident happened shortly before 6:30 p.m. when a 1995 Toyota sport utility vehicle driven by a 35-year-old man reversed from the driveway and ran over the girl. The home was in the Hawaiian Shores subdivision in Puna.

The child was taken to Hilo Medical Center and later flown to The Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu. She was last listed in critical condition.

The driver of the vehicle, who police said was visiting the home, was arrested on suspicion of negligent injury, accident involving death or serious bodily injury, and driving without a license and no-fault insurance.

The man was released without charges pending further investigation.


The city Department of the Medical Examiner has identified Fumihiko Okuda, of Waikoloa on the Big Island, as the motorist who was killed Saturday night in a one-car incident near Yokohama Bay on O'ahu.

Okuda, 69, was last seen Feb. 3 when he left the Big Island to travel to Honolulu. He did not check into his hotel room on O'ahu and had not been seen nor heard from since leaving the Big Island.

The Wai'anae Coast crash happened near Hercules Rock, a popular spot for swimmers to jump into the ocean. The place is at 81-601 Farrington Highway, east of Satellite Tracking Station Road, near Yokohama Bay.

The blue, four-door 2009 Nissan in which Okuda's body was found belonged to Enterprise Rent-A-Car, police said.

It went over a seaside cliff, landed upside down on the rocks at the shore below and burst into flames, they said.


Hawai'i County fire rescue personnel recovered the body of a surfer Thursday at 'Anaeho'omalu Bay, a county news release said.

The man's name was not immediately released.

Witnesses told rescue personnel that the man disappeared after he fell while riding a large wave. Broken pieces of the man's standup paddleboard were recovered.

A fire helicopter spotted the man's body about 100 yards off shore and a rescue swimmer entered the water and recovered it.


A Kalāheo man died Thursday after his car was struck head-on by a Kaua'i Coffee delivery van that crossed the center line on Kaumuali'i Highway in Lāwa'i, Kaua'i police said.

Glenn Doi, 59, was traveling toward Līhu'e about 9:20 a.m. when he collided with the west-bound van driven by a 61-year-old Līhu'e man. The crash happened west of the Lāwa'i Post Office, near Mile Marker 10.