Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Candle sparks fire in Haleiwa home

Advertiser Staff

Fire officials believe an unattended candle sparked a fire Monday morning that damaged a home in Haleiwa.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said firefighters responded to an alarm at 5:43 a.m. and were sent to a home at 66-073 Wana Place.
There, they found a man who was one of the tenants of the two-bedroom home, trying to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Seelig said the man received superficial burns to his hands but declined transport to a hospital.
The fire broke out in the bedroom of a woman who also lives at the house. She was home at the time the fire broke out but was not in the bedroom where it started, Seelig said.
It appears that a candle in the bedroom burned down to the holder and then ignited the top of a plastic bureau, he said.
The fire was declared under control at 5:58 a.m. and extinguished at 7:07 a.m.
Damage was estimated at $65,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents.
Seelig said the fire damage was essentially limited to the one bedroom, although other portions of the house may have incurred smoke or water damage.
The Red Cross was contacted to help residents of the home find shelter, if need be.