Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Unattended candle likely cause of morning house fire

Advertiser Staff

Fire officials believe an unattended candle was the cause of a fire that damaged a home in Hale'iwa yesterday morning.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said firefighters responded to an alarm at 5:43 a.m. at 66-073 Wana Place.

A man who lives in the two-bedroom home was trying to extinguish the fire with a garden hose when firefighters arrived. Seelig said the man received superficial burns to his hands but declined transport to a hospital.

The fire broke out in the bedroom of a woman who lives in the house. She was home at the time the fire started but was not in her bedroom, Seelig said.

It appears that a candle in the bedroom burned down to the holder and then ignited the top of a plastic bureau, Seelig said.

The fire was declared under control at 5:58 a.m. and extinguished at 7:07 a.m.

Loss was estimated at $65,000 to the house and $15,000 to the contents.

Seelig said the fire damage was essentially limited to the one bedroom, although other portions of the house may have had smoke or water damage.

The Red Cross was contacted to help residents of the home find shelter, if need be.