Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Apartment fire accidental but was caused by a candle

Advertiser Staff

Fire officials yesterday said a fire that gutted a one-bedroom unit at the Kinau Villa apartment complex in Makiki Sunday was accidental but caused by an unattended candle. No one was injured.

The fire at the complex at 872 Kīna'u St. was reported at 1:45 p.m., and caused an estimated $115,000 in damage to the structure and $10,000 in damage to its contents, fire Capt. Terry Seelig said.

Seelig reminded the public about the dangers of leaving a candle unattended and offered these safety tips:

• Candle wax will melt when the candle burns and can spill and ignite, if the candle is left to burn down to its end. The ignition of the melted candle wax can start a small fire that can grow very quickly.

• A candle's open flame can start a fire very quickly when it comes in contact with combustible materials like carpet, bedding, curtains or furniture.

• Please pay attention when using candles. Avoid using them during power failures. Use flashlights or glow sticks as an alternative lighting source instead of candles.