Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007

'Lost' inspires TV viewers to dream of a Hawaii vacation online travel survey

 •  Special: Lost in Hawai'i

By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Josh Holloway and Elizabeth Mitchell star in "Lost." The castaways were rated ideal travel companions by some in the poll.


spacer spacer

The characters on the TV show might be "Lost" on some unknown island but they're still inspiring people to dream of a vacation in Hawai'i, according to a new online survey.

The online travel Web site www.kayak.com asked nearly 600 people to think about TV shows and travel inspirations. And if they could go behind the scenes of any TV show, 43.5 percent picked ABC's Hawai'i-based "Lost" as their No. 1 destination.

And 73 percent said they'd like to tour the set of "Lost" and check out the "hatch" from the hit show. The show doesn't offer public tours, but TV viewers can dream big. The other 27 percent said they'd rather cruise at the beach or visit a museum.

Just in case you thought the Hawai'i travel fantasy was a fluke, the www.kayak.com folks also tracked the write-in votes. The No. 1 write-in choice? Some 8 percent went back to the '80s for Hawai'i-based "Magnum PI."

And yes, a couple people still want to "book 'em, Danno" because they voted for "Hawaii Five-0," the iconic police show that ran from 1968 to 1980 and lives forever in reruns.

"Grey's Anatomy" was another top pick for TV-themed travel.

When asked which show they want to visit behind the scenes, 43 percent picked "Lost," selecting the popular drama over such current and past favorites as "Entourage," "CSI Miami" and "The Sopranos."

While 1 in 4 travelers say they visited a place because a favorite show took place there, half of those surveyed say they haven't taken a TV-inspired trip but would like to in the future.

The medical folks on "Grey's Anatomy" got the nod for ideal travel companions at 17 percent, narrowly edging out the castaways on "Lost" at 16 percent.

The survey of nearly 600 was based on responses received Sept. 5-10. The travel Web site regularly features playful reader surveys. Some recent topics this year include a quiz about babies on airplanes. And another one on which destinations require a passport. On that one, 25 percent thought they needed a U.S. passport to go to Maui.

Reach Robbie Dingeman at rdingeman@honoluluadvertiser.com.