Tuesday, January 23, 2001
home page local news opinion business island life sports
AP National & International News
Traffic Hotspots
School Calendar
E-The People
Email Lawmakers
Classified Ads
Restaurant Guide
Business Directory

Posted on: Tuesday, January 23, 2001

Fire damages two Kahalu'u homes

Advertiser Staff

Two Kahaluu homes were damaged yesterday morning in a fire that probably began with the spontaneous combustion of oil- and gasoline-soaked rags in a work shed, fire department spokesman Capt. Richard Soo said.

A firefighter investigates the blackened wreckage of a car and other personal property destroyed when a fire, apparently ignited by spontaneously combusting oily rags, seriously damaged two Kahaluu homes.

Honolulu Fire Department

The fires, at 47-224 and 47-218 Miomio Loop, were reported at 10:32 a.m. and were under control within 20 minutes after firefighters arrived.

A 47-year-old woman and her 12-year-old son were at home when the fire began and escaped without injury, but their three-bedroom home sustained $5,000 in structural damage and $2,000 damage to its contents.

The Red Cross was assisting the family of five.

The fire jumped to an adjacent home, where two 19-year-old men share a studio apartment. They were not home at the time. The fire caused $15,000 damage to that structure.

Four engines, two ladder companies and a battalion chief responded to the fire. Two hazardous materials vehicles were requested because two propane tanks were in danger of exploding.

[back to top]

Home | Local News | Opinion | Business | Island Life | Sports
Weather | Traffic Hotspots | Obituaries | School Calendar | Email Lawmakers
How to Subscribe | How to Advertise | Site Map | Terms of Service | Corrections

© COPYRIGHT 2001 The Honolulu Advertiser, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.