Sunday, January 28, 2001
home page local news opinion business island life sports
AP National & International News
Traffic Hotspots
School Calendar
E-The People
Email Lawmakers
Classified Ads
Restaurant Guide
Business Directory

Posted on: Sunday, January 28, 2001

Unattended burner causes fire at Harbor Ridge

By Karen Blakeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

A stove burner left unattended in a 13th floor studio caused $10,000 damage to a Harbor Ridge apartment building yesterday and $3,000 to the apartment’s contents.

Nearly 35 firefighters arrived at 3045 Ala Napua Place shortly before 5 p.m. to fight the fire, said Capt. Richard Soo of the Honolulu Fire Department.

He said two of the building’s residents, a 24-year-old man and a 33-year-old man, had already brought the blaze under control with a hose from the building’s fire cabinet.

Because the residents of the apartment were not home, the older man, an off-duty police officer, broke through the door to fight the blaze.

Firefighters were unable to find the family who lived in the apartment and asked the Red Cross to help locate them and find a place for them to stay.

[back to top]

Home | Local News | Opinion | Business | Island Life | Sports
Weather | Traffic Hotspots | Obituaries | School Calendar | Email Lawmakers
How to Subscribe | How to Advertise | Site Map | Terms of Service | Corrections

© COPYRIGHT 2001 The Honolulu Advertiser, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.