Tuesday, January 30, 2001
home page local news opinion business island life sports
AP National & International News
Traffic Hotspots
School Calendar
E-The People
Email Lawmakers
Classified Ads
Restaurant Guide
Business Directory

Posted on: Tuesday, January 30, 2001

Kim asks council for more money for street extension

By Hugh Clark
Advertiser Big Island Bureau

HILO, Hawaii — Mayor Harry Kim is asking the Hawaii County Council to appropriate $2.2 million more in bond money for the increased county share of the Puainako Street extension in Hilo.

The council’s Finance Committee is expected to take up the request next month.

The federal government is responsible for 80 percent of the cost of the project, with the county picking up the remaining 20 percent. Goodfellow Brothers' low bid of $22.3 million required additional financing by both the county and federal government.

The federal government will put up an extra $9.5 million for the work.

The project, discussed for nearly four decades, will connect the Kaumana neighborhood with the Waiakea and Panaewa sections of Hilo by creating a new 4.5-mile roadway running mauka from Komohana Street.

Some proponents of the project had feared the new mayor might balk at the additional appropriation. But Kim said yesterday the need for the project is obvious, if only for safety reasons.

He added that the 80 percent federal help was important, as is helping the island’s struggling construction industry.

"We cannot allow this opportunity to escape us," he said, adding he supported the project when he was administrator of Civil Defense.

The state Highways Division and the Federal Highway Administration must give final approval before the bid can be formally awarded. Work is expected to take more than 18 months.

A second stage of the project calls for a four-lane route from Komohana Street makai to Kanoelehua Avenue. That will cost an estimated $40 million and involve the condemnation of homes along the route to allow for the expansion.

[back to top]

Home | Local News | Opinion | Business | Island Life | Sports
Weather | Traffic Hotspots | Obituaries | School Calendar | Email Lawmakers
How to Subscribe | How to Advertise | Site Map | Terms of Service | Corrections

© COPYRIGHT 2001 The Honolulu Advertiser, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.